SEND Report

Gipsy Hill

At Gipsy Hill Federation, we believe that every child is unique. We value individuality and we are committed to providing opportunities for all children to achieve their best. We promote children’s strengths and challenge every child accordingly. We also aim to identify needs early in their educational career and provide appropriate support. At all times, the Federation aims to remove barriers to learning and thus ensure equality of opportunity for all. Throughout each child’s time at the Federation, we value the involvement of the child, the family and the team working around the child at all times.

Areas of SEND provided for in the school:

The Children & Families Act (2014) sets out new requirements to be implemented for supporting children and young people/adults with Special Education Needs & Disabilities. We work in partnership with external agencies and the appropriate Local Authority services to ensure that all children, including those with SEND, make the best possible progress. The schools can provide for children with the following SEND:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Physical and sensory
  • Social, emotional and mental health needs

SEND Information Report

Below are some key questions summarising key points from the SEND Information Report.

Who is responsible for SEND at Elm Wood Primary School?

Your child’s class teacher

SENCo – May Chapman

Deputy Headteacher for Inclusion - Sarah Phillips Knight

Other key members of staff at Elm Wood Primary School:

Family Services Officer – Felix Morgan

Deputy Headteachers – Graziella Williams & Sarah Phillips Knight

Acting Headteacher – Myrtle Charles

Other key members of staff at Gipsy Hill Federation:

Head of Inclusion – Amelie Thompson

Executive Headteachers – Susan Holt and Laleh Laverick

Chief Executive Headteacher – Craig Tunstall

SEND Governor – David Okoro

What are the roles of those responsible for SEND?

Class teachers

As a parent/ carer, your first point of contact is the class teacher. Each class teacher provides Quality First Teaching in the classroom. They monitor progress, plan for the individual needs of the children, and assess the achievement of each child. Class teachers consider and monitor appropriate additional support within the class. They liaise with parents/carers and the SENCo when identifying strengths and needs.


The SENCo liaises with specialist services such as speech and language therapists, educational psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, paediatricians, the school nursing team etc. They monitor the success of the interventions provided within the school, adjusting provision accordingly. The school records of SEND are maintained and communicated to parents/carers by the SENCo. They also support colleagues in their understanding of SEND and inclusion and how this translates into Quality First Teaching in the classroom.

Deputy Headteacher for Inclusion

Deputy Headteachers, with the responsibility for inclusion, monitor SEND provision and its impact on pupil outcomes and progress across the school. They ensure that all children are making progress and monitor relevant interventions that children receive. They liaise with parents/ carers and outside agencies where appropriate. They support the SENCo in developing whole school inclusive practice, leading on staff training on a needs-led basis and supporting colleagues in the delivery of Quality First Teaching for all groups of learners in the classroom.

How accessible is the school for children with SEND?

Elm Wood classrooms are spread across two floors and are accessible via several staircases situated at different points in the school and a lift. It has accessible toilets throughout.

In line with The Equality Act (2010), Elm Wood will make reasonable adjustments for children with disabilities, e.g. provision of auxiliary aids and services for children at a substantial disadvantage compared to their peers.

Pupils have access to laptops, iPads, visual prompts and timetables. Throughout the school a ‘total communication approach’ is used.  This means that signing and visual supports are used alongside spoken word.

Extra-curricular activities: all teachers ensure that trips are accessible to all children, and relevant risk assessments are completed beforehand. Breakfast and after school clubs are also available to all children.

How do we support parents of children with SEND?

We know that pupils achieve their full potential when home and school work in partnership. We operate an open door policy where you are able to speak to your child’s class teacher when needed, although we ask that you do not engage them in lengthy conversations at the beginning of the day when they are responsible for bringing the class into school. If you would like to speak with them in depth, feel free to arrange an appropriate time to meet with them.

SENCOs and members of the Senior Leadership Team are also available at the start and end of the school day at the school gate. Alternatively, you can contact the school by telephone to make an appointment. 

For children with complex needs, ‘team around the child’ meetings will be organised to ensure that all professionals involved in your child’s provision are involved.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have any concerns we recommend you speak to your child’s class teacher to arrange an appointment to discuss this with them initially.

Further discussion might be held between yourself, your child’s class teacher and the school SENCO to discuss further if appropriate.

If you are not happy with the support put in place for your child, you can contact the Headteacher.  If you are still dissatisfied after you have contacted the Headteacher, you can contact the school SEND Governor.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

The class teacher will raise any concerns that they have regarding your child’s progress and learning throughout the year with you. The teacher will discuss your child’s progress with you at our termly parents’ evenings when you will be informed of your child’s progress and any additional support being given.

We have regular meetings between the class teacher, SENCO and senior members of staff in the school to ensure all children are making progress to meet their full potential. This is another way to identify if your child is not making expected progress. If your child is identified as not making expected progress the school will continue to closely monitor this and set up support for your child and ask for your input in identifying concerns you may have.

Following additional support, if your child is still not making expected progress the school will discuss with you: any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning and how we could work together with external agencies to support your child at home/school.

How do we identify and assess SEND early and put appropriate support in place?

For some children, we are aware of SEND through early diagnosis, records from a previous school/nursery setting and parents/carers notifying us on enrolment. The sharing of information at this stage is essential to ensure the best provision possible can be put in place for your child. In these cases, we contact the relevant professionals that have been working with your family to share information and strategies.

For other children, SEND might present later on in their development or might be communicated through certain behaviours at home or in school or through interactions with their peers and/or their environment.

There is a formal half-termly cycle of review of pupil progress where class teachers, SENCOs and the Senior Leadership Team discuss in depth the progress of all pupils and any barriers they might be facing to their development and progress. Provision maps are adjusted according to discussions at these meetings. This half-termly cycle of review allows for early identification and regular evaluation of provision.

In addition to this formal cycle of assessment, provision planning and review, SENCOs have an open door policy whereby any member of staff or parent can come and share a concern about a child for assessment of need and provision planning to take place at any point in the term where appropriate.

We also recognise that behaviour is a communication, and when discussing repeated/high incidence of unwanted behaviours in school, it is school policy to consider possible reasons for unwanted behaviours and which provision we can put in place to support the child displaying these behaviours. SENCOs and parents/carers will be involved in these discussions.

What provision does the Federation offer?

We have a range of provision in place to meet the varying needs of our pupils. For an overview of the educational and pastoral provision in place for children at the federation, please click here.

What if I don’t think there is an improvement?

If concerns continue from school/home, we will discuss this further and review and evaluate provision in place for your child.

We regularly evaluate the impact of any interventions and adjust provision for individual children accordingly. Where progress is not being made despite additional provision or where a specific need is apparent, referrals to outside agencies can be made, for example, Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist etc. Assessments by these services might result in recommendations for specific strategies during whole-class teaching or targeted/specialist intervention. The school will act on these recommendations as quickly as possible for each child. The impact of these will also be reviewed and evaluated regularly. If your child’s needs are particularly complex or they continue not to make progress despite appropriate intervention, application for an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) might be discussed together with you.

What if I think my child needs an Education Health Care plan?

If it is felt that a child is not making progress despite targeted and specialist support, further support may be needed. This can come in the form of financial support from the local authority in the production of an EHC plan to put in place additional provision. This replaced the statement of Special Educational Need in 2014.

The process

The school can complete an assessment, gathering evidence to support an application, the Local Authority (LA) will consider the application and contact the school and family with their decision as to whether the needs are complex enough to warrant this. If they decide to proceed, all agencies involved with the child need to submit assessment forms to build a picture of the child’s needs. A meeting involving the parent/carer, SENCO and relevant professionals will also be arranged.

The LA will then consider the complexity of the needs and make a decision about funding based on this. They may decide that the provision that can be provided through the school’s funding is sufficient to meet your child’s needs, or they will suggest an appropriate level of funding that they will send to the school for additional provision to be put in place to meet your child’s needs.

Ideally this process is completed with school and parents working in partnership. However, if parents would like to apply independently they can contact the local authority. Details of how to apply will be included in the ‘Local Offer’ section of the local authority’s website (see website links under ‘Where do I find more information?’)

What if the Local Authority say no?

If the Local Authority (LA) decides not to issue an EHCP, they will write to you informing you of their decision. They will suggest that the school review or continue with the support at the current level, followed by a meeting in school to write a plan for the child to assess and monitor progress. Following some additional cycles of support in school, a further application for an Education Health Care Plan might be advisable.

Any concerns about the decision need to be directed to the Local Authority.

How do we support children with complex needs or EHCPs during tests?

Children sit national tests at the end of Year One, Year Two and Year Six. During tests, provision can be put in place to support children with additional needs. These are known as access arrangements.

Where necessary, applications will be made for the following access arrangements: additional time; scribes; dyslexic friendly paper; access to additional resources such as a laptop; EAL provision for those new to the country within the last year and a half and registered in an official language. This will be in line with what the child receives as part of their normal classroom provision. For some papers, provision can also be made for children to have access to a reader or to a quieter environment.

For very few children with an EHC Plan, it may not be appropriate for them to sit the tests. This will be agreed in consultation with the parents. If this is the case, during the time they will complete alternative work with a member of staff.

How do we support children with complex needs or EHCPs during transitions?

Every transition a child goes through is important. When children start a new year in our schools, those children with additional needs are supported through the use of transition books (made accessible to the individual child), passports shared between staff, and meetings between current and new teaching/support staff. A specific INSET day is organised to give teachers time to share detailed information about their class and the specific needs of the children in their classes.

If your child is moving to another school (including to secondary school), we will contact the SENCo and share relevant information about your child’s needs. We will pass on any records and arrange a meeting with staff where appropriate. Year Six teachers also run drop-in evenings for parents of children transitioning to secondary school. It is likely that your child will also be invited to attend open days at their new school before the end of the summer term.

Where do I find more information?

Southwark Local Offer:

Lambeth Local Offer:

Lewisham Local Offer:

Greenwich Local Offer:

Croydon Local Offer:

Southwark Information and Advice Service

The Southwark Information, Advice and Support Team [formerly called parent partnership service] provides information, advice and guidance to parents and carers of children aged 3 to 19 years with special educational needs (SEN). 

The service helps parents make informed decisions about their child's education. 

020 7525 2886 or 020 7525 2866

Lambeth Information and Advice Service

The Lambeth Information and Advice Service [formerly called parent partnership service] is universally free at the point of access and works for parents and carers of targeted children and young people with SEND and with their families. They offer impartial and confidential advice and support around education, health and social care.

020 7926 9805 (Chris White) or 020 7926 1831 (Anita Bey)

Contact a Family

Contact a Family provides local support to parents who have disabled children between the ages of 0 and 19.

Blackfriars advice centre

Blackfriars advice centre provide free and confidential advice and support. 

What do I do if I have a complaint?

Your child’s class teacher is your first point of call. If they are able to resolve the matter, they will do so. They might also refer the matter to other relevant members of staff, such as the SENCO or a member of the Senior Leadership Team. If you are still unhappy with the response, you can arrange to speak with the SENCo yourself or arrange an appointment with a Deputy Headteacher. Further to this, if you are still unhappy you can arrange an appointment with the Headteacher. Appointments can be made via the school office or in person at the school gate in the mornings and afternoons. Following a meeting with the Headteacher, if you are still unhappy, please click here to refer to the complaints procedure.

  • Kingswood Primary School Lower Site
  • Kingswood Primary School Upper Site
  • Elm Wood Primary School
  • Paxton Primary School
  • Crawford Primary School
  • Fernstanton Primary School
  • Glenbrook Primary School
school contacts

How To Find Us

Contact Gipsy
Hill Federation