History of the School
Paxton Primary School was originally called the Woodland Road Elementary School and was built 1887. It was later re-named Paxton Primary School in honour of Joseph Paxton, the Victorian landscape gardener and designer of the famous Crystal Palace which housed the Great Exhibition of 1851.
The school was an imposing red brick four storey building, comprising of eight rooms, two per floor with no school hall. All ground floor windows were covered with heavy wire mesh screens to prevent damage from balls. Boys and girls were taught separately and had to enter the school by different gates. This continued until 1921 when they were taught together.
Following a number of County Council Inspections, the school was deemed difficult to organise and lacked the facility for children to participate in any kind of indoor recreation or indeed gathering together due to the lack of a hall. It was decided to demolish the old building and build a new modern school on the same site.
The new school was finished in 1973. It was built using pre-fabricated concrete walls, typical of 1970s architecture. It was a single storey building with a modern open plan layout. An extension was added in the early 1980s to include a Nursery with its own outdoor play area.
In 2000, the school underwent major re-development, increasing the overall size of the building. Further development in 2009 saw the re-modelling of the Nursery playground and the installation of a new community room and ICT suite.